Svitac (Firefly) Project Report – April 2017
Staff: Gordana Varcakovic, Dina Vosanovic, Milos Popic, Sanjin Vosanovic
Local volunteers: Adin Midzic, Milica Bacanov, Nadia Selimi, Ismar Mustafic, Maja Tomic, Ines Mocevic, Azra Pezerovic
‘Weltwearts’ volunteer: Alexander Likic
EVS volunteers: Eleonore Pearson, Benjamin Owens, Mahmut Taha Bicer, Yunus Seckin
Self-fundraising volunteers: –
- Culture and Art Diversity around the World – includes Language, Art&Crafts, Music, Drama, and Sports workshops from Monday to Friday
- Standard Language workshops – English and German
- English – standard English language workshops for teenagers and young people
- German – standard German language workshops for teenagers and young people
- Conversational Language workshops – English, German, Turkish
- I love English – conversational English workshops for teenagers and young people
- “Lasst uns Deutsch sprechen!/Pricajmo njemacki!“ (“Let’s speak German”) – conversational German workshops for teenagers and young people
- Let’s speak Turkish – conversational Turkish workshops for teenagers and young people
- Art&Crafts workshops – practical arts and crafts workshops for children and teenagers
- Music workshops – samba, guitar, music workshops for children and young people
- Sports workshops – for teenagers and young people
- Drama workshops – for teenagers and young people
- Standard Language workshops – English and German
- Local language lessons for international volunteers
HIGHLIGHTS ON MONTH’S ACTIVITIES
- This month included two fun events: Spring Festival and a one off visit from Mamuts World Bike Tour. International volunteers have also been doing a lot of different daily activities and they focused on different things (fundraising, promotion of the organization through social media etc.).
- About 118 participants regularly attended Svitac’s (Firefly’s) activities in April, reconfirming their popularity in our small Brcko District community. Participants were aged between 4 and 40 years old. The youngest and the oldest participants attended Culture and Art Diversity around the World workshops and English/German workshops for adults.
- Younger group – They made decorations for Spring festival (butterflies, sheep, flowers, foxes, rabbits, owls and a real size tree). They also learned new words in English and German related to spring, describing people and even had a little competition in English using those new words. Highlights with the younger group were rehearsals for the Spring festival. Ben (EVS volunteer from Great Britain), and Milica (Svitac’s/Firefly’s Daily Schedule Coordinator), along with the other international and local volunteers, helped younger participants to prepare two songs („Music Man” in English, and “Leptiriću šareniću” in the local language).
- Older group – They did a lot of decorations for Spring festival and different paper crafting. In the Language Workshops, the group did words related to emotions, Family and describing people (appearance, hobbies/interests, jobs, titles, and characteristics/personality). In the Music Workshops the group learned some new songs in English and local languages related to spring and rehearsed for the Spring festival. They also learned about rhythm and rhythmic music, and repeated some old songs. The highlights with the older group were workshops held by two bikers who visited Svitac (Firefly) as a part of their “Mamuts world bike tour”. Both age groups (8+ and 16+) seemed to enjoy the presentation that the bikers offered.
- Spring festival – On 21st April, Omladinska organizacija Svitac (Firefly) organized an event for its participants, their families and friends. The event programme was full of entertaining and amusing performances. Svitac (Firefly) participants from the age 8+ group performed a flute composition, two songs, and a dance routine. At the end of the programme, our guests were invited to take part in some interactive activities held by Svitac (Firefly) local volunteers and Amica. The activities on offer were a face painting station, and two arts and crafts stalls, one where children could create and decorate a paper mache planet, and another where children could turn their wishes into paper butterflies to decorate a spring tree. Total participants: 120
- FutureShort festival – The festival licence is bought and translation of the films continued during April. The date of the screening will be confirmed in the beginning of May and there will be more work on subtitling and editing as well as advertising the event.
EVS, WELTWARTS AND OTHER VOLUNTEERS’ PROGRAMMES
- In April, Svitac very much appreciated collaborating with 5 international volunteers: one ‘Weltwearts’ volunteer from Germany and four EVS volunteers from the UK and Turkey.
- Sending EVS – Two volunteers from Bosnia doing their EVS service in Cyprus (9 months) and Lithuania (12 months).
MEETINGS and PRESENTATIONS
- Svitac (Firefly) representatives continued to attend regular monthly meetings with the youth centre coordinator and the other NGOs based in Brcko. The purpose of the last meeting was to share information about activities and plans for April and discuss activities scheduled to take place in the youth centre.