Svitac (Firefly Bosnia) Project Report – October 2019
Staff: Gordana Varcaković, Dina Vošanović, Miloš Popić, Sanjin Vošanović
Local volunteers: Adin Midžić, Merima Hidanović, Ines Močević, Mehmed Hidanović, Almira Čehić, Semir Brodlić, Boris Kikić
‘Weltwearts’ volunteers: Lydia Luise Jung, Lana Fuchs
‘EVS/ESC’ volunteers: Hannah Luise Ursula Külper
- Culture and Art Diversity around the World – Includes Language, Art&Crafts, Music, Drama, and Sports workshops from Monday to Friday
- Standard Language workshops – English and German
- English – standard English language workshops for teenagers and young people
- German – standard German language workshops for teenagers and young people
- Conversational Language workshops – English, German
- I love English – conversational English workshops for teenagers and young people
- “Lasst uns Deutsch sprechen!“ (“Let’s speak German”) – conversational German workshops for teenagers and young people
- Art&Crafts workshops – practical arts and crafts workshops for children and teenagers
- Music workshops – samba, guitar, music workshops for children and young people
- Sports workshops – for teenagers and young people
- Drama workshops – for teenagers and young people
- Standard Language workshops – English and German
- Local language lessons for international volunteers
HIGHLIGHTS ON MONTH’S ACTIVITIES
- This month 14 young people from ‘Trivago’ had the opportunity to volunteer in our organisation when they assisted with daily activities and learned about development of the post-war generation. The agenda included a presentation about the country’s background, current social challenges, and lectures from public institutions, interacting with kids, and sightseeing in the community. International volunteers have also been doing a lot of different daily activities and they focused on different things (fundraising, promotion of the organization through social media etc.).
- About 134 participants regularly attended Svitac’s (Firefly Bosnia’s) activities in October. Participants were aged between 4 and 40 years old. The youngest and the oldest participants attended Culture and Art Diversity around the World workshops and English/German workshops for adults.
- Younger group – They made leaves prints, bunny ears and paper bats as a Halloween theme. They learned to write and pronounce letters A, B, C and Č in local languages, maths and new words in English and German related to the autumn and Halloween. In the Music Workshops, they learned a new song in local languages „Šapice mi zeko daj“ (“Give me the paws bunny”) and moves for that song. The group also had the opportunity to play together on various percussions and acoustic instruments. Highlight with the younger group was learning how to take care of hygiene.
- Older group – They made weather clock and decorations for Halloween party from a different material. In the Language Workshops, the group learned new words related to traffic and how to give directions, cases, body parts and practised small talk in English, German and Turkish. In the Music Workshops, the group learned a song about peace in English („I’ve got peace in my heart“) and played together at various acoustic instruments. The participants played a lot of volleyball, basketball and team spirit games. The highlight with the older group was the workshop when they read a story based on ecology (Mumpf-The Godbage Monster) and afterwards had a discussion about what the message of the story was.
EVS/ESC, WELTWARTS AND OTHER VOLUNTEERS’ PROGRAMMES
- In October, Svitac (Firefly Bosnia) very much appreciated collaborating with 3 international volunteers: two ‘Weltwärts’ volunteers from Germany and one EVS/ESC volunteer from Germany.
- Visa process has been finished for two weltwärts volunteers from Germany and started for the new EVS/ESC volunteer.
- Sending EVS/ESC and ‘Weltwärts’ – Four volunteers from Bosnia are doing their EVS/ESC and ‘Weltwärts’ service in Germany and Slovenia 2, 9 and 12 months).
MEETINGS and PRESENTATIONS
- Svitac’s (Firefly Bosnia’s) representatives continued to attend regular monthly meetings with the youth centre coordinator and the other NGOs based in Brčko. The purpose of the last meeting was to share information about activities and plans for October and discuss activities scheduled to take place in the Youth Centre.
- Svitac’s (Firefly Bosnia’s) representatives attended the meeting of networks that support peace and tolerance in Bosnia and Herzegovina. The meeting was held in Doboj, BiH.
- Svitac’s (Firefly Bosnia’s) representatives attended 7th Global ECPD Youth Forum which was held in Novi Sad City Hall, October 26th-27th. This year’s Forum was held under the general theme “YOUTH MOBILIZATION TO REDRESS THE PRESENT TRENDS” and highlighted following discussion themes: present situation in the Balkans and its local communities and how far they are from sustainability; the most threatening and unsustainable trends in local communities, countries and the Balkans region; what needs to be done to redress present trends and obstacles that need to be overcome. The forum was organised by The European Centre for Peace and Development (ECPD) University for Peace established by the United Nations, an international educational and research institution. This event brought together participants from over 80 countries around the world and it was opened by H.E. Prof. Dr Erhard Busek, Former Austrian Deputy Chancellor, whereas the event was chaired by a distinguished member of ECPD, Prof. Dr Arthur Dahl.